Thursday 18 April 2013

Two Times Twenty-One

Man's heart away from nature becomes hard.
Standing Bear

I wrote a short Happy Birthday message last month when Marigold officially became 42 years old. It got me remembering that we had a much bigger celebration the FIRST time that she completed 21 years. VW South Africa used to run a fantastic monthly magazine called Volksie Family that had regular features and interviews of local "Volksies" and their owners. I made inquiries recently with the dealership about getting hold of a back-copy but the current bunch of imbeciles knows nothing of the magazine (although one guy conceded that such a magazine was a great idea). Anyway I digress, at the approximate time they actually ran an article of the birthday party that was held. They took a few photos of the celebrations and held a brief interview with my dear Dad.



Dad managed to have a Marigold cake made and we cracked a bottle or two of bubbly to celebrate the occasion. He used to celebrate the birthday in July until I did some research on the VIN and the M-Plate and learned to calculate the exact date. The article also mistakenly states that Dad bought Marigold in 1992, which must be a misprint as I have the original bill of sale showing that he bought her in 1976.

Marius came over to help on the project yesterday, as he so often does, but we spent a bit of time on my other air-cooled project and got the entire back axle fitted with new gasket, clean seals and re-assembled.


I'll get back to the Marigold Project shortly - I've had a fiddle and made some more adjustments on the front end of the gear linkage but it still pops out of the socket now and again. Frustrating, but it'll have to be sorted out soon, I'll keep on it in my spare time.



Still a long way to go on this project too - Fred Flintstone here trying out the adjustable seat :)

Now repeat the mantra after me: 4 wheels - good, 2 wheels - great, 3 wheels - MENTAL!


Thanks for stopping by
CooP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...