Thursday 6 February 2014

Vague Steering

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe



We are continuing the slow slog down the long list of loose ends and trying to tick off a couple or three each month. We have stripped and removed the steering mechanisms from both donor buses and will attempt to assemble a best-of-the-best setup from the selection of parts.



These are some of the steering bits, parked on my spare desk for now, a reminder of the work I need to do in my spare time this week. It's in pretty good nick, just needs cleaning and maybe a lick of paint and we'll be able to replace it next week.




We also managed to do some more work on the re-routing of the new wiring underneath the bus. We are using a combination of regular plastic conduit, plastic electrical sleeving, shrink-wrap and the natural chassis rails to route the new cables. Most of it is using existing holes and channels in the chassis, some of the newer holes are our own handiwork. Next week we can start the joining, soldering and wrapping.


Thanks for stopping by
CooP

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my little spot on the web!
    Holy Cow! That's quite a project you've got going! How long since you started?
    I love it, and all the pics of other stretches, shorties, and trailers on your site. I never knew there were so man folks into reconditioning (?) VWs. I can see from your blog roll you follow Glenn, too. (and I love your list of "Friends" aka spammers! Too funny!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks to you for stopping by a my little spot. I don't have many travel stories to tell yet but I'm working hard to get the build project finished and to start the travel project :) I have had the bus for many years, and my dad originally bought it in 1976, but the project itself started in November 2008. Gulp, 5 years already, oh dear!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...