Monday 5 January 2009

New Year - Big Decisions

Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.
Alexander Solzhenitsyn

There has been a lot of hoo-hah in the press lately about left-hand-drive vehicles and the possible banning thereof in South Africa. At the time of writing there is a lot of confusion and no-one seems quite sure how the new laws shall be interpreted. Partly to avoid a possible ban, and partly because driving Marigold is an absolute cow, I am planning to change her over to right-hand drive.

Now...here comes the bit that'll upset some of the purists: I'm going to slice off the whole front end and weld on the front end of a South African built, right-hand drive Kombi. If this kind of carnage upsets you then please don't scroll down to see the pictures - you can get help here: www.lifeline.co.za.

I already have another Kombi that I picked up for a mere R1500 in the Free State (thanks Niyan). I plan to hack the front two-thirds of that and duct-tape it to the back two-thirds of Marigold, thus giving me the right-hand drive that I desire, and an extra 1.4 metres to boot. By the end of January I hope that both Kombis shall be chopped and prepared for joining together again.



Preparing for the big chop - even my friend Dino "I can fix anything" is scratching his head a bit at the prospect of this new challenge. Marigold is all jacked up on the new axle stands, the pop-top is off and we're marking out the cut lines.



Where would I be without good mates, eh? Daryl gets down and dirty as he puts the trusty Black & Decker to work on the underside.



Cutting the roof - sparks fly as Dino traces the line across the roof with the cutting disc.

Thanks for stopping by
CooP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...