It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.
I've been fiddling and struggling with the hydraulic brakes for weeks now, it's almost impossible to do alone with basic tools and an almost complete lack of knowledge :(
Thankfully my friendly and more clued-up neighbour came over with some good ideas, strong muscles and a smartphone with a smarter father on the line. We bled the brakes for ages but something didn't feel right and it didn't work as expected. We took off the bleed nipples at each hub in order to check them and found them to be rather gunked up with oil and road filth. A good cleaning soon put them right and we managed to bleed all of the the air out of the system.
"Pump... release... pump... release... pump... release..." My neighbours must be wondering what we get up to in the garden on a Wednesday evening, heh heh.
With some welcome advice over the telephone on drum brake adjustment from aforementioned father we got the settings all correct and the system seems to be maintaining pressure, the brakes are working at all four corners and the pedal "feel" is consistent and correct. Yay! Thanks mate once again for the help.
We have collected, connected and measured all of the random bits of cut cables that have littered the workspace for the past few years. Clutch, accelerator and a pair of hand-brake cables will all have to be carefully measured, matched and made to fit the new, longer chassis.
My notes probably only make sense to me but I'll take the mess of broken and cut cable parts to a specialist in Randburg on Friday and find out if they can make head or tail of it all. And join head to tail to make up the new, extended cables!
Looks like a rat's nest, if the rat is a bit nuts.
Thanks for stopping by